Wednesday, August 24, 2011

wisdom found in a note

I was recently going through my bookshelf, in preparation to move in the next few weeks. I found an old church bulletin from The Journey dated Dec 2, 2007 that I had used as a bookmark. This was about 5 months after I started attending the church that has become my post-college home. Back then, each week there were several quotes in the bulletin that dealt with the sermon topic. They were always amazingly insightful and always hit me right where I needed to be hit, and I miss seeing them in the now-revamped bulletin. I thought I'd share the quotes that I found.

-------------------

"No man is really any good till he knows how bad he is or might be. He must realize exactly how much right he has to all this snobbery, this sneering, this talking about others as if they were apes in a forest ten thousand miles away. He must squeeze out of this soul the last drop of desire to judge others instead of dealing with his own sin." - G.K. Chesterton

"Forgiveness is not living in disregard of past wrongs, rather forgiveness emerges from a decision to overcome resentment and vengefulness." - Avishai Margalit

"Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and certainly broken. If you don't want this then give your heart to no one! Wrap it carefully around with your hobbies and avoid all real entanglements. Lock it up and it will be safe in a casket of your selfishness. But in the casket, safe and dark your heart wil change. It will not be broken, but it will become dark, cold and unbreakable." - C.S. Lewis

"Forgiveness flounders because I exclude the enemy from the community of humans and I exclude myself from the community of sinners." - Miroslav Volf